When can Ohio bet on sports? Ohio online sports betting is set to explode in 2023! The first legal sportsbooks will launch on January 1, 2023, and many of America’s biggest betting names are getting ready for the big day. Discover how to bet on sports in Ohio with our top guide and prepare yourself with an exciting prelaunch promotion.
Caesars, betMGM app, bet365 OH, Pointsbet, and Draftkings are among the first online sportsbooks going live in Ohio in 2023.
Ohio Online Sportsbook Offers 2023
Bet365 Ohio Sportsbook: Bet $1 Get $200 Free Bet
BetRivers Ohio Bonus: get up to $500
Caesars Ohio Bonus: Deposit $20 Get $100
betMGM Ohio Bonus: Get $1000 Free Bet
WynnBet OH Bonus: Bet $100 Get $100 in Free Bet
PointsBet Ohio Bonus: up to $2,000 in Free Bets
Approved Ohio Sportsbooks List 2023
|BetMGM||MGM Northfield Park|
|DraftKings||Hollywood Casino Toledo|
|PointsBet||Hollywood Gaming, Mahoning Valley|
|Barstool||Hollywood Casino Columbus|
|Bally Bet||Cleveland Browns|
|Betly||Miami Valley Gaming & Racing|
|betPARX||Muirfield Village Golf Course|
|BetRivers||Hollywood Casino Columbus|
|PlayUp||JACK Cleveland Casino|
|MaximBet||JACK Cleveland Casino|
Ohio Sportsbooks in Detail
Legal sports betting in Ohio is live as of January 2023. Around a dozen online and mobile sports betting operators had gone live after gaining Ohio Casino Control Commission approval to go live with sportsbooks. Sportsbooks that are legal in Ohio are Barstool, Bet365, Betfred, BetJACK mobile app, BetMGM, BetRivers, Betr, BetWay, Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings, FanDuel, Hard Rock Sportsbook, Gamewise/MVG Bet, PointsBet, SuperBook, and Tipico. Most of the sportsbooks are offering launch welcome bonuses, see also which apps are available in Ohio right now.
- Barstool have been busy the past few years launching sportsbooks in multiple US states. Hollywood Casino Columbus is Barstool’s approved land-based partner.
- bet365 secured a license approval in October 2022 with the Cleveland Guardians. Bet365 Ohio sportsbook offers one of the slickest mobile sports betting apps using award-winning software and features.
- BetMGM is rare in Ohio because its parent company already runs a successful casino resort. MGM Northfield Park is partner with BetMGM and now provides retail and mobile sports betting. You can also join the online BetMGM Rewards program to earn perks every time you bet.
- BetRivers. Rush Street Interactive’s flagstone sportsbook is live in partnership with Hollywood Casino Columbus. You can bet on over a dozen sports and earn iRush Reward Points (iRPs) every time you place a real-money bet.
- FanDuel is one of America’s biggest daily fantasy sports (DFS) and betting providers. FanDuel operates a retail sportsbook at the Belterra Casino Resort, which contains 4 self-service kiosks. FanDuel is live in Ohio.
- DraftKings add Ohio to its growing list of licensed states since its launch in January 2023. It secured a partner deal with Hollywood Toledo, a Penn National Gaming property.
- PointsBet have opted for a race track to partner with in Ohio. PointsBet will go live online in partnership with Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course. You can earn free bets when you join up on January 1 and enjoy interesting spread features such as pointsbetting.
- Caesars has gone for Scioto Downs for their land-based Ohio betting partner. Caesars offers one of the most lucrative welcome offers for new signups compared to other Ohio sportsbooks. You can also jump into the Caesars Rewards program to earn points online or for use at retail casino resorts.
- Betly Sportsbook are one of the newer US sportsbooks to go live. They only run in Arkansas, West Virginia and Tennessee currently but will add Ohio to their list of eligible states when they go live in spring 2023. Betly have submitted a license application in partnership with Miami Valley Gaming & Racing.
- betPARX will run its online and mobile sportsbook through a licensing deal with Muirfield Village Golf Club. Though betPARX run a very good online casino in some states, their Ohio sportsbook won’t feature slots or table games.
- PlayUp already operate a sportsbook and racebook in multiple states, such as Colorado, New Jersey and Indiana. Ohio will become PlayUp’s fifth regulated state when it launched a mobile app filled with promotions such as the big-money Parlay Jackpot.
- Bally Bet are one of the betting operators who have buddied up with a sports team in Ohio. Bally Bet will offer a retail sportsbook at the home of the Cleveland Browns – the FirstEnergy Stadium – as well as online and mobile betting.
- Tipico was one of the first operators to secure an Ohio license back in September 2022. Odds boosts and parlay boosts are the name of the game at this sophisticated sportsbook.
Launch Sportsbook Welcome Bonuses & Betting Promos for Ohio
|Sportsbook||Welcome Bonus||Betting Promotions|
|BetRivers||Claim $500 in 2nd Chance Free Bet||iRush Rewards, risk-free bet, free bet, parlay insurance|
|BetMGM||$1000 in First Bet Insurance||BetMGM Rewards, profit boosts, parlay boost, odds boost, risk-free bets, free bets|
|DraftKings||$200 in free bets||Dynasty Rewards, Missions, odds boost, profit boost, parlay insurance|
|Bet365||Bet $1, Get $200||Bet boost, soccer parlay bonus, early payouts, cashback, free bets|
|PointsBet||5 x $100 Second Chance Bets||Free bets, same-game parlay boost, PointsBet Rewards, cash out, Diamond Club VIP program, partial cash-out|
|Caesars||$1,500 Free Bets||Caesars Rewards, free bets, profit boost, money back, odds boost|
|Barstool||$1,000 Bet Insurance||Risk-free bets|
|FanDuel||Bet $5, Get $200 in bonus bets||Free bets, risk-free bets, enhanced odds, same-game parlay boost, NBA League Pass|
|Bally Bet||Not live yet||Loyalty program, exclusive odds boosts, progressive parlays|
|Betly||Not live yet||Profit boosts, odds boosts|
|betPARX||Not live yet||50% parlay boost, odds boosts, risk-free bet, profit boost|
|PlayUp||TBC||Parlay jackpot contest, parlay boosts, odds boost|
|Tipico||$50 in Free Bets||Odds boost, parlay boost, parlay insurance|
|MaximBet||n/a||Free predictor games|
Here are some other big bonuses we expect to land in 2023
Welcome Bonus. Missed the pre-launch offer? No biggie: just sign up any time after January 1, 2023 to trigger free bets or a deposit bonus. The sportsbook will refund your first losing bet as a free wager (risk-free bet) or match your deposit 100% with bonus funds. Use your funds on eligible wagers at the minimum odds requirements.
Free Bet. Earn a free bet just for opening your new account and making a deposit. You get to keep all your winnings, minus the value of the free bet. A risk-free bet is a refund on your first real-money wager if it loses. Your first wager must be placed at the minimum odds – usually -200 or greater.
Parlay Insurance. Parlay insurance guarantees a free bet as compensation if one of your parlay legs lets you down. Typically, you must place a 4-leg parlay to qualify.
Odds Boosts. Enjoy enhanced odds on the big games. Boosted odds are offered on individual player performances, moneyline results or futures markets. You can usually view all available odds boosts together on one easy page.
Parlay Boosts. Enjoy a boost of up to 40% or more on winning parlays. The more legs your parlay contains, the bigger your boost.
Loyalty Program. Enjoy perks and bonuses as part of the sportsbook’s VIP scheme. Earn points as you bet and climb the tiers to earn bigger and better deals. The best Ohio sportsbooks will offer plenty of benefits such as birthday bonuses, free bets and expedited withdrawals.
How to Find the Best Online Sportsbook in Ohio
Ohio sports betting launched in January 2023 with a full roster of top-quality operators. But how do you choose the best OH sportsbooks to bet at? Here’s how we select top Ohio sports betting apps:
Mobile App: The app should be downloadable for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. Download for free from the App Store and claim a welcome bonus with a few quick taps.
Choice of Betting Markets: Bet pregame, futures or in-play on a dozen different sports including football, basketball and hockey. The Ohio betting laws even allow for eSports gambling. You will be able to bet on the moneyline, spread and totals, plus a host of team and player props.
Betting Features: The best Ohio sportsbook apps will offer some great added incentives such as Cash Out and Build a Bet. With Cash Out, you can settle selected bets early before the game ends. Build a Bet lets you create bespoke wagers and get odds to match.
Range of Deposit Options: Under Ohio betting law, you can make deposits using a host of banking methods such as debit cards, e-Wallets and PayNearMe. You may also be able to deposit in person at partner retail sportsbooks.
Promotions: We compare the promotions offered at all Ohio sportsbooks. From welcome bonuses (in case you missed the prelaunch deals) to loyalty programs, sportsbooks in Ohio should provide a good mix. You will also be able to claim regular deals such as profit boosts and money back.
Customer Support: All Ohio sports betting sites should offer customer support through live chat, phone or email. Support should be offered 24/7 but you’ll also have access to a help center containing guides on all common subjects like claiming bonuses and making a deposit.
How to Open an Ohio Sports Betting Account
It’s easy to get your Ohio sportsbook account set up. You must be 21 or over and located in Ohio whenever you place bets or make deposits.
Remember, you may have to verify your account by supplying a scan of your passport or government-issued ID when you join. You can do this online, through the app or by contacting Customer Support.
- Step 1: Click on the Sign Up button for one of our early sign-up bonuses
- Step 2: Download the sportsbook app or just register online.
- Step 3: Complete the registration form and create a username and password.
- Step 4: Log in from January 1, 2023 and make a minimum deposit if required. You may also need to use a promo code.
- Step 5: You will receive free bets in your account to use on eligible sports.
Download an OH Sportsbook App for iOS & Android
All Ohio sports betting sites will be going live on January 1, 2023 with a fully-downloadable mobile app. You can install an app for iOS or Android devices by visiting the respective app store. Android users may also download a mobile app file direct from the sportsbook.
- Direct your phone to the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android). Alternatively, download the Android .apk file from the Ohio sportsbook website through your phone.
- Open the app and create an account username and password. You can also make deposits from January 1, 2023 using the mobile sportsbook cashier.
- Mobile sportsbook apps will have geolocation tools automatically installed. These help the sportsbook verify you are located inside Ohio borders when you log on to bet.
- To place real-money bets, we recommend you have a strong Wi-Fi connection. You will also need to switch your Location Services on when you use your device.
Some Ohio sportsbooks are offering pre-launch deals to attract new customers. Here’s how you can claim an Ohio welcome bonus right now.
Most OH sportsbook pre-launch deals promise free bets as soon as the industry goes live in January 1. However, you’ll need to pre-register an account right now (or any time right up until New Year’s Day).
The biggest pre-launch offers in Ohio right now are from BetMGM, DraftKings and bet365. You can earn $200 in free bets with no deposit required when you sign up now with BetMGM. DraftKings also offer $200 in free bets when you pre-register and make a deposit on launch day. Bet365, meanwhile, will give you $200 in free bets when you bet $1 or more after January 1.
Ohio Betting Markets & Sports Events
Sports betting in Ohio was finally legalized in December 2021 when HB 29 was passed by the state Legislature. Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine signed the bill into law just before Christmas. Sportsbooks are set to go live and accept bets on January 1, 2023.
Under current Ohio betting law, casinos and sports teams are permitted to launch one online/mobile sportsbook. However, they may be able to launch a second sportsbook skin if they can prove they are a benefit to the state.
There are three types of betting licenses up for grabs in Ohio:
A Sports Gaming Proprietor License
- Allows license-holders to offer sports betting online or via mobile.
- Up to 25 Type A licenses may be issued
- License-holders must have a Type B license or operate a place of business in Ohio
B Sports Gaming Proprietor License
- Allows license-holders to offer retail sports betting at land-based facility
- Up to 40 licenses to be issued in total
- One retail betting facility per license
C Sports Gaming Proprietor License
- Allows betting through self-service terminals at “host facilities”
- No more than 20 Type C licenses to be issued
- Limited number of wagers allowed (e.g. Moneyline, spread, totals, parlays with <4 legs)
By end of 2022, there were 15-20 online sportsbooks who had been cleared for launch. These included Betly, BetMGM, bet365 and FanDuel. Around 10 more operators could have their licenses approved by launch day.
Online sportsbooks in Ohio must have a partnership with a land-based operator in the state before they launch. Some sportsbooks have partnered with brick ‘n mortar casinos, while others have gone for deals with race tracks or sports teams. In addition, there could be up to 300-400 retail betting outlets opening their doors on Ohio soil.
What to bet on?
Betting on NBA
Bet pre-game or in-play on every game of the season and find odds on top-scoring player or team. You can also bet in-play on the winning team for each quarter. Check out DraftKings for the best NBA odds and deals.
Betting on NFL
You can bet on every game of the season or get the best odds on the Super Bowl and playoffs. Follow the action live through the game tracker and bet in-play as the score changes. The best Ohio sportsbook for NFL betting is FanDuel.
Betting on MLB
Baseball bets include moneyline (game winner), total points, and the spread (Run Line). You will also find a full list of futures odds on the winner of the next World Series.
Betting on NHL
From the weekend’s games to the Stanley Cup, Ohio sportsbooks will have it covered. Bet the spread (called the ‘Puck Line’) and get better odds when your team starts with a points handicap. We found that DraftKings is the best sportsbook for NHL betting.
College Sports Betting in Ohio
College sports betting is legal in Ohio. You will be able to bet on college football and college basketball games throughout the season. Bet pre-game on each clash or hit the futures markets on the end-of-season playoffs. Check out Caesars for top college sports betting markets.
Top Sports Venues for Ohio
Ohio’s sports betting laws are a little different from other states. In Ohio, sports teams, stadiums and race tracks are allowed to enter into betting partnerships with sportsbook operators. Let’s look at some of the biggest arenas for betting in Ohio.
Belterra Park Racino
Address: 6301 Kellogg Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45230
Belterra Park in Cincinnati is operated by Boyd Gaming and contains a thoroughbred race track and casino all in one. FanDuel will be running the new retail sportsbook at Belterra Park, alongside an online/mobile betting site in 2023.
Address: Progressive Field, 2401 Ontario St, Cleveland, OH 44115
The Cleveland Guardians MLB side have been granted a Type A and Type B license in Ohio and will be overseeing a mobile betting app alongside a new retail sportsbook at the Progressive Stadium. UK betting giant, bet365, will power the new mobile sportsbook.
Mahoning Valley Race Course
Address: 655 N Canfield Niles Rd, Youngstown, OH 44515
Hollywood Casino already runs a brick ‘n mortar casino at Mahoning Valley, so it’s perfectly set up to incorporate a new retail sportsbook. PointsBet is Mahoning Valley’s choice of online sports betting partner.
Eldorado Gaming Scioto Downs
Address: 6000 S High St, Columbus, OH 43207
Eldorado Gaming Scioto Downs is owned and operated by Caesars Entertainment. Alongside racing and a casino, there will be a new retail sportsbook added. Caesars will provide the online and mobile betting app.
Address: FirstEnergy Stadium, 100 Alfred Lerner Way, Cleveland, OH 44114
NFL team, Cleveland Browns, have entered into a partnership with Bally’s Interactive to provide a sports betting lounge at the FirstEnergy Stadium. Bally Bet will oversee the online and mobile app.
Miami Valley Gaming & Racing
Address: 6000 OH-63, Lebanon, OH 45036
The racino at Miami Valley Gaming & Racing will provide sports betting from next year. Betly is its online and mobile betting partner.
Muirfield Village Golf Course
Address: 5750 Memorial Drive Dublin, OH 43017
betPARX became official betting operator for the PGA Tour in March 2022, and it’s strengthened its ties with golf by partnering up with Muirfield Village Golf Course in Dublin, OH.
Columbus Crew Stadium
Address: Lower.com Field, 96 Columbus Crew Way, Columbus, OH 43215
MLS side, Columbus Crew, penned a deal with German bookmaker, Tipico, in January 2022. Tipico have become exclusive Sports Betting Partner of Columbus Crew and will be able to launch its online/mobile sportsbook in January 2023.
Ohio Sports Betting FAQs
Yes! Ohio’s sports betting law allows for potentially hundreds of mobile and retail sportsbooks. The first legal sportsbooks in Ohio will be going live in 2023.
Ohio sports betting is going live on January 1, 2023. There will be 10–15 mobile and online sportsbooks such as DraftKings, Caesars and BetMGM. You can make deposits, trigger a welcome bonus and bet on 1000s of sports markets.
You must be 21 years of age or older to bet on sports in Ohio. You don’t have to be an Ohio resident but you must be located within state borders when you log on to place wagers.
Ohio sportsbooks will accept deposits using bank cards, e-Wallets and online bank transfers. You may also apply for a branded prepaid card which makes online payments even easier.
Absolutely. You can claim pre-launch bonuses now or wait until January and claim a deposit match bonus. Most large Ohio sportsbooks will also offer risk-free bets to new customers.
Of course! It’s legal to bet on eSports at OH sportsbooks. You can bet pre-game or in-play on major e-Sports markets such as Call of Duty: Global Offensive and League of Legends.
Unfortunately not. Ohio has only legalized online and mobile sports betting. However, the igaming laws in Ohio could be expanded in the future to include casino games and slots.
Yes, here is our Ohio horse racing betting guide. Use TVG, get bonus.